Smoked Eggplant Fattoush Salad
Ingredients for the fattoush:
1/2 small head red cabbage, shredded
1 small head lettuce, shredded
handful mint leaves, thinly chopped
handful parsley leaves, thinly chopped
2 pita breads
1 tsp sumac
1tsp fool’s Gold All Purpose rub or your favorite BBQ seasoning
2 tomatoes, chopped into chunks
1/2 cucumber, deseeded and sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
2 Pitta breads
For the dressing
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 lemon (juice the lemon)
Optional – I don’t do oil but if you prefer you can add a little olive oil into the dressing here
For the eggplant or “aubergine” for my friends across the pond 1 eggplant sliced into small 4 mm slices
1/2 tsp smoked salt
1/2 black pepper
- Put in smoker at 225 with hickory wood for 10 minutes
- After smoking or if you don’t want to smoke the eggplant Cook for approximately on grill or in fying pan for 3 minutes, turn the slices over once, until they have become soft and lightly charred.
- toast the pita breads until they become lightly golden brown. When cool, chopping into small pieces.
- Toss together all the salad ingredients.
- Make the dressing by combining vinegar, garlic, and lemon juice.
- Combine with the salad and dressing and sprinkle over the sumac/BBQ seasoning and your smoked salt and pepper to taste.