Baked savory donuts with roasted beetroot and yogurt frosting
For the donuts:
100 g roasted beet
100 g sunflower or grapeseed oil
150 g cornmeal
150 g white einkorn flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp wild thyme
200 ml dairy-free milk
30 g. coconut sugar
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
60 g dairy-free yogurt
For the frosting:
40 g dairy-free yogurt
150 g soaked cashew
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp wild thyme
1/2 black pepper
2-3 cloves garlic
salt to taste
100 g. roasted beet for sprinkling (diced)
1. Grease donut pan, set aside. Preheat oven to 200 C.
2. In a bowl mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, thyme, pepper, cumin and salt.
3. In a food processor mix the roasted beet, oil, milk, coconut sugar, yogurt and flaxseed. Process until smooth mixture.
4. Add the wet mixture into the dry one. Stir well.
5. Transfer batter to a large pastry bag fitted with a #809 round tip. Pipe donut rounds in pan making complete circles.
6. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Let cool for about 20 minutes in the pan. Carefully remove donuts and place on wire rack to cool completely.
8. For the frosting mix all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
9. Using a spatula or a spoon, spread the frosting over tops of donuts. Sprinkle with roasted beet.